CBP Explorer Program
**Please Read** The San Diego locations remain closed at this time. The staff recommends that you try back in Spring 2018 to determine if space has become available
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is committed to the partnership between law enforcement and America's youth. CBP Explorer Program is your bridge to one of the most challenging and exciting missions in law enforcement today - the job of serving as the guardians of our nation's borders, America's frontline.
With so many unique careers under one agency, you'll have the chance to experience a wide range of law enforcement activities and choose the one that's right for you. I want to extend my personal invitation to you to take part in the CBP mission as an active CBP Explorer. Come join a great program that offers you the chance to work in an exciting environment and enjoy exceptional educational benefits..
If you have any questions about CBP Explorer Program, please contact your local Post Advisor. We look forward to having you on our team.
Facts about the Program
The Explorer Program offers opportunities in character building, good citizenship, and fitness for young men and women ages 14 through 21.
Law Enforcement Explorer posts offer programs in law enforcement and criminal justice, which provide Explorers with practical training and hands-on experience in those areas.
The CBP Law Enforcement Explorer Program provides opportunities for Explorers to participate in federal enforcement-related activities within the CBP. CBP has posts both at ports of entry and at Border Patrol sectors.
When accepted into the program, an Explorer will receive extensive training and on the job experience to help prepare them for a career in Law Enforcement.
As an Explorer, you will be able to:
- Assist with passenger processing and crowd control at airports and seaports
- Observe and assist with surveillance operations
- Observe vessel searches
- Take field trips
- Attend the Law Enforcement Explorer Conference
- Participate in other Explorer Programs
How the Explorer Program Benefits You and CBP
If accepted into the Explorer Program, you will gain:
- Exposure to federal law enforcement careers and professionals
- Exposure to the unique aspects of the CBP law enforcement system
- Education, training, and a knowledge of career requirements for CBP
- Opportunities to develop self-confidence and self-discipline
- Help in establishing and achieving educational and other self-improvement goals
- Scholarship opportunities from several federal law enforcement agencies
At the same time, if you are accepted into the program, you will be able to share your strengths and experience by:
- Giving CBP personnel the opportunity to get to know their community's young people by sharing common interest
- Helping CBP to identify potential law-enforcement career candidates
- Involving young people in activities that help increase the effectiveness of CBP's own personnel and help accomplish the CBP mission
This form is used by the potential CBP Explorer Program candidate, or their parent or guardian if they are under the age of 18. The form is used to request information for the CBP Explorer Program. Completed forms should be saved to your computer and e-mailed to CBPExplorerProgram@cbp.dhs.gov as an attachment.