CBP Officer Medical Exam
General Medical Requirements:
Individuals in this position must be medically and physically capable of performing the essential job functions and duties of the position safely and efficiently without aggravating existing health problems or endangering the health and safety of the individual, others, or national security.
After tentative selection, applicants must undergo a pre-employment medical examination and be found medically qualified to perform the position's full range of duties safely and efficiently. Any disease or condition that may potentially interfere with the safe and efficient performance of the job's duties or training may result in medical disqualification. No condition is automatically disqualifying; each determination is made on a case-by-case basis. The medical determination may involve recommendations for additional information and/or testing. If medical information is recommended beyond that provided by the initial medical examination, it is provided at the expense of the applicant.
Specific Medical Requirements:
- Near Vision: Must test at least 20/40 Snellen binocular, (with both eyes viewing) with or without correction.
- Distant Vision Acuity: Binocular visual acuity must be at least 20/30, with or without correction.
- Uncorrected Vision: Uncorrected binocular vision must be 20/100 or better.
- Color Vision: Must be able to distinguish primary colors as defined by color perception Ishihara Pseudo isochromatic plate tests; use of an X-chrome lens is not acceptable.
- Refractive Surgery: LASIK-free from residual effects three months post-procedure; Other Procedures - Free from residual effects one year after surgery.
- Average hearing in decibels (dB) for the 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000 frequencies must not exceed 25 dB.
- Hearing may not exceed 45 dB at the 4000 and 6000 Hz in either ear.
- The difference in hearing levels between the better ear and the worse ear may not exceed 30 dB at the 4000 and 6000 frequency.
- The difference in hearing levels between the better ear threshold and the worse ear threshold may not exceed 15 dB for the average of 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000 Hz.
The use of hearing aid is not allowed.