Border Patrol Agent Entrance Exam
Once the USA Jobs Border Patrol Agent (BPA) application and assessment questionnaire has been submitted for pay grades GL-5 and/or GL-7, eligible applicants will receive an invitation to schedule the BPA Entrance Examination.
Note: Applicants who have specialized law enforcement experience may be eligible for the BPA GL-9 grade level. The BPA GL-9 does not have an Entrance Examination requirement. Find out what pay grade you may be eligible to start at based on your experience and/or education by using the BPA Resume Aid and Apply Here!
Applicants can generally expect to receive an emailed Notice of Results with a determination of eligibility within 2-3 weeks of submitting their application or after taking the Entrance Exam, if applicable.
Scheduling and Preparing for the BPA Entrance Examination:
- Check all junk and spam folders for any correspondence from CBP Hiring or USA Hire.
- When scheduling, applicants may select an exam site closest to their residence (110 mile radius). It is best to use a desktop or laptop computer when scheduling, rather than a tablet or phone.
- Apply early to the announcement and schedule the online test as soon as possible to ensure the most options for testing. Refer to the announcement for online testing dates.
- The BPA entrance examination may take up to 5 hours to complete.
- Proper test preparation is essential for the successful candidate; therefore, we strongly encourage you to review the entry-level Border Patrol Agent Study Guides.
- Applicants should take the BPA Entrance Exam Pre-Test (sample entrance examination). The pre-test will give you a preview of the types of questions you can expect to see on the actual exam.
You will be evaluated based on your resume, supporting documents, if applicable, and the BPA Entrance Examination. The entrance exam contains the following two (2) assessments: Logical Reasoning Skills and the CBP Experience Record. To be eligible, applicants must pass the exam with a score of at least 70.
Test scores prior to August 5, 2018, are no longer valid. After you take the Entrance Exam, you will not be able to retake the exam for six months regardless of whether you pass or fail.
Questions about your BPA application?
Customs and Border Protection Frontline Staffing
Hours of Operation: M-F, 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. CT