Open VRA Announcements
CBP uses a Veteran Recruitment Appointment (VRA) to streamline the hiring process for eligible veterans. To apply under the VRA process, select one of the links below that corresponds to the position you are interested in to access the announcement on USAJOBs. Information on eligibility and features are further down the page. For general information on Veteran employment at CBP, visit the Veterans page.
Border Patrol Agent VRA Links
- VRA Announcement (GL-5, GL-7)
- VRA Announcement for individuals with at least one year of law enforcement experience (GL-9)
Not sure which Border Patrol grade level you qualify for? Learn more about GL-5, GL-7, and GL-9 here.
CBP Officer VRA Links
- VRA Announcement (GS-5, GS-7)
- VRA Announcement for individuals with at least one year of law enforcement experience or work with importing or exporting merchandise (GS-9)
Not sure which CBPO grade level you qualify for? Learn more about GS-5, GS-7, and GS-9 here.
What are the features of the streamlined hiring process?
If you are a separating service member, your recent military fitness test and military medical examination may provide credit for successful completion of the required CBP medical qualification and fitness test requirements. This reciprocity option will make it easier for you to complete the hiring process.
How do I know if I am eligible?
You are eligible if you separated under honorable conditions and meet one of the following conditions:
- Recently separated veterans
- Disabled veterans
- Veterans who served on active duty during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized
- Veterans who, while serving on active duty, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded
- Veterans claiming eligibility on the basis of service in a campaign or expedition for which a medal was awarded must be in receipt of the campaign badge or medal