COVID-19 Notification: CBP is still hiring! We are working diligently to bring personnel on board as efficiently as possible. Thank you for your continued interest in a career serving CBP.
CBP is hiring U.S. Border Patrol agents, CBP Officers, Air Interdiction agents and professional staff.
APPLY NOW - To start your application for a CBP position, follow the steps below.
1. Make sure you understand the full application requirements
The application process for frontline positions is rigorous and challenging: it includes steps such as a polygraph exam, background investigation, physical fitness test, and medical exam. It is recommended that you review the full position requirements before you apply to ensure you are prepared for what is to come. View our specific position requirements: (Border Patrol Agent) ( CBP Officer) (Air Enforcement Agent) (Air Interdiction Agent) (Marine Interdiction Agent)
Similarly, administrative, professional, and technical job applicants often have several steps in the application process. Make sure you review the USAJOBS posting for the position to understand what is required.
2. Find the position announcement on USAJOBS (links below)
If you are ready to apply for a position at CBP, submit your application through USAJOBS. Select the link below that corresponds to the position you are applying for. If you do not see the position you want to apply for below, use the built in search capability at USAJOBS.
3. Upload your CBP formatted resume and other required documents to USAJOBS
Human Resources Specialists will review your resume and other required documents to make sure you meet the minimum qualifications and determine which grade you qualify for. For your application to be reviewed quickly and accurately, it is recommended that you submit a resume that appropriately documents your qualifications. If your resume and/or transcripts do not clearly document how you are qualified, you may be rated ineligible.
For Veterans: To claim veteran’s preference, there are a number of documents you are required to submit. Learn more about veterans preference and required documentation.
4. Answer all required pre-employment questions
After submitting your resume, you will be required to answer a series of pre-employment questions through the USAJOBS website. Answer these questions truthfully and to the best of your knowledge.
5. Receive an email about next steps
Submitting your resume, and answering the pre-employment questions on USAJOBS is the first step in the exciting journey to join CBP. You will be contacted about next steps via email, so make sure you register with an email address that you check regularly when you apply.
Critical agency hiring needs for entry level CBPOs currently include the following locations:
- Southern Border: Douglas, Lukeville, Nogales and San Luis, AZ; Andrade, Calexico, Otay Mesa, and San Ysidro, CA and Laredo, TX
- Other than Southern Border: Anchorage, AK; Los Angeles and San Francisco, CA; Chicago, IL; Calais, Coburn Gore, Fort Fairfield and Jackman, ME; Boston, MA; Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie, MI; Grand Portage and Minneapolis, MN; Raymond, and Sweetgrass, MT; Newark, NJ; Alexandria Bay and Queens, NY; Dunseith, Pembina and Portal, ND; Derby Line, VT; Blaine, Danville, Frontier, Oroville, Point Roberts and Seattle, WA.