131 C HWY 5 E
P.O. Box 820
Scobey, MT 59263
Phone: (406) 487-2621
Fax: (406) 487-2763
History and Area of Responsibility
The Scobey Station was set up as a sub-office with Plentywood Station in 1924 and existed as such until the early 1930's. Scobey was closed in 1948 and Plentywood remained open until 1953. The Wolf Point Station was established January 1, 1956 but closed in 1987 and relocated to Scobey. The new Scobey station moved operations approximately 50 miles closer to the border. The station has seen an increase in manpower and resources since September 11, 2001, and additional space was needed to house this expansion. The Scobey agents moved in to a new facility in November 2007, and Scobey became a stand-alone station in January 2008.
The topography of the Station's area is best described as high plains interspersed with rolling hills. There is little change on the Canadian side of the border. A few hills and valleys make illegal border crossing difficult in a few areas, but in general there are no natural barriers to illegal entry. Two major rivers run through the area. The Missouri flows eastward from Ft. Peck Reservoir and the Yellowstone River flows northeastward through Miles City, Glendive, and Sidney. Except for the rich bottomlands adjacent to the rivers, the entire area is dry and semi-arid with limited rainfall.
The population in the station's area of responsibility is less than 10,000 people. The area adjacent to the border with Canada is also sparsely populated. Regina, with a population of 175,000 is southern Saskatchewan's major population center. Regina is approximately 100 miles north of both Plentywood and Scobey.