Environmental Management System Policy Statement
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is one of the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) largest and most complex components, with a priority mission of keeping terrorists and their weapons out of the United States. CBP also has a responsibility for securing the border and facilitating lawful international trade and travel while enforcing hundreds of U.S. laws and regulations, including immigration and drug laws. CBP executes its mission while complying with environmental laws and regulations as well as executive direction for conserving valued national resources.
To achieve CBP goals and objectives related to environmental management, energy conservation, and resource protection, CBP will integrate environmental stewardship and sustainability practices into operations and activities. It is the policy of CBP to:
- Ensure compliance with all applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations; Executive Orders (EOs); and DHS directives for the protection of the human health and the environment.
- Consider environmental factors and conservation of resources when: planning projects; leasing, purchasing, constructing, operating, maintaining, or decommissioning equipment, facilities, or tactical infrastructure; and revising and implementing operational programs and activities.
- Carry out mission supporting activities in a manner that reduces adverse impacts to human health and the environment.
- Implement an environmental communication, awareness, and training program as appropriate for CBP employees regarding Federal, State, and local laws and regulations, EOs and DHS directives.
- Coordinate with other Federal, tribal, State, and local agencies, non-governmental organizations, and the public to maximize benefit to operational and environmental sustainment outcomes.
- Promote efforts that reduce consumption of energy, water, and raw materials.
- Support initiatives that prevent pollution where practical to reduce the volume and toxicity of materials and waste.
- Develop, implement, and continually improve an Environmental Management System (EMS) for CBP Headquarters, which provides an operational framework for facilities and operations.
This policy provides a framework to guide the integration of environmental factors into decision-making and planning for applicable CBP operations and activities. Protecting the environment and conserving resources for use by current and future generations is consistent with the CBP mission.