US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Mobile Nav Button


What is the difference between filing an EEO grievance and an EEO complaint?

Any employee who is covered by the National Treasury Employees’ Union (NTEU) Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) who believes that he or she has been discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or reprisal for filing a claim on one of these bases, except where required by statute or pursuant to bona fide occupational qualifications may file a grievance.

Any federal employee may initiate a statutory complaint of discrimination under EEOC regulation 29 C.F.R. §1614.

  • The terms of this Agreement apply to all professional and nonprofessional CBP employees,  excluding:  Employees in the Office of Border Patrol assigned to Border Patrol Sectors; Employees of the Office of Chief Counsel; Management officials, supervisors, and other employees excluded from the bargaining unit in accordance with 5 U.S.C. § 7112(b) (2), (3), (4), (6) and (7).
  • Discrimination bases under applicable Federal law and Executive Orders include: race, sex, religion, color, national origin, reprisal (for prior EEO activity), disability, age, genetic information, status as a parent, and sexual orientation.