Executive Order 12564 established the goal of a drug-free workforce, and mandated that all Federal employees refrain from illegal and illicit drug use as a condition of employment. Employees occupying Testing Designated Positions (TDPs) are subject to applicant testing and random drug screening.
The following criteria define TDPs:
- Employees with direct involvement in drug interdiction or enforcement of related laws;
- Employees granted access to national security classified information (confidential, secret, or top secret security clearances);
- Employees who are authorized to carry firearms;
- Individuals serving under Presidential appointments;
- Law enforcement officers as defined in 5 USC Sections 8331(20) and 8401(17);
- Employees who have access to certain agency automated systems; and
- Other positions that the agency determines, which involve law enforcement, national security, the protection of life and property, public health or safety, or other functions requiring a high degree of trust and confidence.
Any questions regarding the Drug-free workplace program should be directed to your supervisor.