Equal Employment Opportunity,
Privacy and Diversity Office – Diversity Division
U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Privacy and Diversity Office, Diversity Division, provides EEO, diversity and inclusion, and civil rights/civil liberties services to almost 60,000 CBP employees and to the hundreds of millions of travelers and members of the trade and traveling community that CBP interacts with in the performance of our homeland security mission.
The Diversity Division strives to ensure equality of opportunity and the benefit of employment decisions free from unlawful discrimination for all employees and applicants for employment, and nondiscrimination in law enforcement activities and all other administered programs for the trade and traveling public, through the following activities:
- Implementing CBP’s Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan, which is designed to meet departmental goals for an inclusive and engaged CBP workforce. Developing and implementing a CBP-wide outreach program to educate the CBP workforce on diversity and inclusion issues.
- Examining barriers to employment and advancement in order to create an environment that is welcoming to all individuals, regardless of their protected status under Federal law, regulation, or policy.
- Collaborating with the Office of Human Resources Management and other offices to ensure that CBP maintains an environment that fully utilizes and recognizes the skills and abilities of all individuals, including individuals with disabilities.
- Engaging in counseling, mediation, and investigation activities to address and resolve EEO complaints at the lowest possible level and in accordance with applicable regulations and policies. Ensuring compliance with all EEOC decisions and settlement agreements. Providing EEO awareness training for all CBP employees.
- Developing policies and procedures that promote the prevention of civil rights or civil liberties violations against members of the trade and traveling public and the elimination of unlawful profiling. Maintaining an efficient and effective civil rights and civil liberties claims processing program. Providing civil rights and civil liberties awareness training for all CBP employees.