To facilitate the development of regulations regarding advance security filings pursuant to section 203 of the SAFE Port Act, CBP invites interested persons to comment on the attached draft paper by submitting written data, views, or arguments on all aspects of this document. Comments that will provide the most assistance to CBP will reference a specific portion of the draft proposal, explaining the reason for any recommended change, and include data, information, or authority that support such recommended change. CBP is specifically interested in receiving comments on this proposal relating to the following:
- The advance trade data elements.
- The parties most likely to have direct knowledge of each element.
- The technology necessary for parties to transmit the data in a timely fashion.
- The impact on the flow of commerce, including explanations of the existing commercial practices of affected parties and the changes to those practices that would be necessary in order to comply with the requirements proposed in this document.
- The necessity for transition periods between promulgation of the regulations and the effective date of the regulations.
The comment period ended on February 14, 2007.
CBP is currently developing a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM), which will be published in the Federal Register along with a request for comments on the NPRM.
For further information, please refer to the CBP Draft Proposal for Advance Trade Data Elements.