10888 Avenue 31E
Wellton, AZ 85356
Phone: (928) 785-9364
Fax: (928) 785-4582
On February 1, 1955 two Patrol Inspectors were assigned to work in the Wellton and Tacna areas. An increasing number of undocumented aliens working the surrounding agriculture area justified a definite need for the Inspectors presence. A station was not provided at that time and the Patrol Inspector in Charge maintained all files and vehicles at his residence. In late 1963 and early 1964, the illegal alien activity in the area declined dramatically. The agents were no longer needed in the area so the two Patrol Inspectors had to be re-assigned. From April of 1964 to August of 1967, Patrol Inspectors assigned to the Yuma Station provided any necessary coverage in this area.
In August of 1967, the Tacna Border Patrol Station was established in Tacna, Arizona. During the following years, the station grew in manpower and in area of responsibility. The Tacna Station became outdated and proved to be too distant and too small to accommodate the needs of Yuma Sector and the needs of the assigned agents. With 44 miles of International Boundary with Mexico and the additional operational responsibilities of the U.S. Highway 95 checkpoint and traffic observation at Dome Valley, the Yuma Sector made a decision to move the station. The Wellton Border Patrol Station was officially opened and dedicated in 1990.
Area of Responsibility
Today, agents from the Wellton Station patrol 65 miles of international boundary with Mexico, man a busy checkpoint, and operate a remote forward operating base called "Camp Grip," located in the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge.