7695 Airport Road
Eureka, MT 59917
Phone : (406) 889-9080
Fax : (406) 889-9009
The Eureka station originally was established eight miles north of Eureka as an "Area Headquarters" in Gateway, Montana in July of 1924. Liquor smuggling was prevalent during the early days of the Gateway Border Patrol station. The Gateway location is now under water as a result of the construction of the Libby Dam and the creation of the Lake Koocanusa Reservoir in 1974.
The original station was also located in Rexford, Whitefish and Eureka in its early years of existence. The original station was relocated to Whitefish from Eureka in 1955.
The current station was reopened as a two Agent, Sub-Station of Whitefish in 1974 at the Roosville Port of Entry. The station was located in a small office within the old port of entry. In 1989, the Eureka Sub-Station moved to a location eight miles south of Roosville in the town of Eureka.
On September 12, 2009, a grand opening ceremony was held for the new Eureka Border Patrol Station, which is located eight miles north of Eureka at Airport Road and Highway 93. At the new station, a monument was erected and dedicated to Patrol Inspector Joseph P. Riley who, on April 4, 1925, sustained fatal injuries during an auto accident approximately three miles northwest of Eureka. Patrol Inspector Riley succumbed to his injuries and passed away on April 6, 1925.
Area of Responsibility
In 2003, Eureka became an independent station and is responsible for 50 miles of border located in Lincoln County.