112 Moon Shadow Road
Bonners Ferry, ID 83805
Phone : (208) 267-2734
Fax : (208) 267-0409
The first Border Patrol stations in what is now the Bonners Ferry station area were established in 1924 at Priest River, Idaho, and Libby, Montana. Later, the same year, these were closed and stations were established at Eastport and Porthill, Idaho. Bonners Ferry was made a Sector Headquarters in 1934 and in 1942 the Headquarters was moved to Spokane, Washington, and Bonners Ferry continued to operate as a station. The Porthill Border Patrol Station was closed in 1945 and the Eastport Border Patrol Station closed in 1949.
During its existence, the Eastport station was one of the most active stations in the area, making forty to fifty apprehensions per month. Checking trains was the main activity, with liquor smugglers being extremely active in the area. The bulk of the apprehensions were German aliens who were ex-soldiers from the German Army who had entered Canada and subsequently were trying to make their way into the United States.
Area of Responsibility
The Bonners Ferry Border Patrol Station is located on the second floor of the Post Office Building in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Agents of the Bonners Ferry Station patrol from Priest River located in northwestern Idaho to the Yaak Mountains of western Montana.