10400 Larkin-Smith Drive
Gulfport, MS 39503
Phone: (228) 896-0884
Fax: (228) 896-8209
A Border Patrol station was first established in Gulfport in 1927. The major enforcement problems in the area at that time were caused by alien smuggling by boat, and undocumented aliens moving from Texas, after having crossed illegally over the Mexican border. During this time there were six officers assigned to the station. Appointed officers did not receive any formal instruction and "on the job training" was the primary means to increase officer efficiency.
The Gulfport station was closed in 1934 as an economic measure during the Depression. From 1934 to 1941, large numbers of undocumented aliens found safety in the coastal area. The station reopened in May of 1941 to assist in coastal patrol and checking of persons leaving the beach areas bound for points in the interior, and to prevent further infiltration of enemy agents into the United States. Officers were complemented by men designated as war service employees. At that time, as it is presently, the station was responsible for Border Patrol operations for the entire State of Mississippi.
After the war, the Gulfport station was opened and closed on several occasions. In 1958 it was reestablished, and has been a station under the New Orleans Sector since.