2285 Del Rio Blvd.
Eagle Pass, TX 78852
Phone: (830) 758-4000
Fax: (830) 758-4049
The Eagle Pass Station was opened in 1925-and in 1926, along with the Comstock and Del Rio Stations, was included in the original makeup of the Del Rio Sector. Stations were also opened in Uvalde and Quemado, Texas during World War II to better protect the nation. In 1959 the Quemado Station was closed and the responsibility for that area was turned back over to Eagle Pass.
The station moved to its current location at 2285 Del Rio Boulevard in 1985 after the facility completion on five acres of seized land. Since the implementation of a strict 100 percent prosecutions posture dubbed “Operation Streamline” in December 2005, illegal trans-border activity has declined significantly in the Eagle Pass area. The introduction of technology has also greatly assisted in the deterrence and apprehension of illegal traffic. This, coupled with some of the day-to-day operations conducted: line watch, river airboat patrol, checkpoint duties, bicycle and ATV patrol, have all helped the Eagle Pass Station to steadily gain better control of the International Border.
In 2002, a plan was drawn up to replace the existing Eagle Pass Station with a new 49,000 square-foot facility on a 37-acre compound located southeast of Eagle Pass. During the planning stages it was determined that the most active corridor in Del Rio Sector would be better served by two distinct areas of responsibility. As such, the concept of separating the Eagle Pass Area of Responsibility and creating the Eagle Pass and Eagle Pass South Stations was developed. The new facility became fully operational on November 5, 2007.
The frontline agents of the Eagle Pass Station remain ever vigilant in their efforts toward the prevention of terrorists and terrorist weapons from entering the United States and the interdiction of illegal aliens and narcotics smuggling.
Eagle Pass agents are also very involved with outreach programs supporting local schools and communities while providing the community’s youth with strong positive role models. These activities include: sponsoring a youth Explorer’s post, drug demand reduction, gang violence education and graffiti eradication partnerships.
Eagle Pass’ proximity to some of the Mexican State of Coahuila’s most populous areas, its proximity to San Antonio, Texas (a major hub and distribution point for smuggling), and the established infrastructure on both sides of the border are several factors which make Eagle Pass the most active area in Del Rio Sector.
Area of Responsibility
The Eagle Pass Station’s area of responsibility is bounded by the Brackettville Station to the North, the Uvalde and Carrizo Springs Stations to the east and the Eagle Pass South Station to the south. The station’s area takes in approximately 720 square miles including 29.18 miles of international border. Terrain of the area is made up mostly of rolling plains covered with a variety of native brush, except near the Rio Grande where there are rough hills and grass-covered river vegas.
Piedras Negras, Coah., Mexico, famed birth place of the nacho, is the city adjacent to Eagle Pass, and is the largest Mexican city in the Sector’s area, with a population estimated over 200,000. A highway from Piedras Negras to Nuevo Laredo has opened the area to the south for development and the city is expected to further expand. Several organized smuggling groups have operated in Piedras Negras over the years, utilizing public transportation from the interior to staging areas near Piedras Negras. A variety of routes from Eagle Pass into the interior of the United States have traditionally attracted smuggling activity.