600 Colvin Woods Parkway
Tonawanda, NY 14150
Phone: (716) 862-7000
Fax: (716) 838-4534
The Buffalo Border Patrol Station was established in July of 1924, at the same time that the Buffalo Sector was created. The station and the Sector Headquarters had always been co-located until the present station was opened on October 15, 2006.
The smuggling of aliens, liquor and other contraband was prevalent in the early 1920's. Foot-patrol and still-watch were the principal functions performed by Border Patrol Agents in those early years, requiring a large number of officers to cover an assigned area. Patrol Agents were assigned to checking freight trains and the exterior of passenger trains entering the United States. Constant line-watch was maintained at the International Railroad Bridge. The bridge connects Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada with Buffalo, New York.
Area of Responsibility
The international border in the Buffalo Border Patrol Station's area of responsibility is 45 miles adjacent to Lake Erie and the Niagara River. The station's patrol area includes twelve counties in Western New York which encompasses 8,540 square miles.